There are few things more fun then spending an evening learning and tasting chocolate with friends after a long day at work.
Almost a year ago, I discovered the brand while perusing the chocolate section at our local grocery store and since then have visited their Williamsburg location two times. Previously our small chocolate stash was primarily Swiss chocolate, heavily influenced from our time living there, but over the past few months more and more Mast Brothers chocolate has found its way into our house. Therefore, when Gilt City invited Heather, Diana, Alanna, Christine and I for private tour at Mast Brothers Chocolate factory and show room in Brooklyn, I was elated!
This behind-the-scenes tour which took place at their original, Williamsburg location provided us with a better understanding of not only how they make their chocolate but also how it is different than other chocolate brands. During the tour we learned a great deal ranging from the details behind the process to the history of the brand.
- The company was started by two brothers, Rick and Michael, one a chef and the other a business man.
- They sold their first bars (17 to be exact) on their first day at Brooklyn based Artists & Flea
- They now have three locations: Williamsburg, LA and London.
- They pride themselves on including no more than 6 ingredients in any bar.
- Cacoa nibs are made of half cocoa solids and half cocoa butter.
- The nib portion boast many health benefits due to the fact that each serving contains flavanoids, antioxidants, 9 grams of fiber, magnesium, and potassium!
- They have a base line of popular chocolate flavors but also introduce seasonal collections each year.
- They do their best to source the ingredients for the chocolate from local or small farms and business partners such as Stumptown Coffee for the coffee that goes in their coffee bar.
- Their recent collection is an herb collection, of which lavender is their most popular!
- My personal favorite flavors are sea salt, goat milk, and lavendar in the perfectly portioned small 1.0 oz size bars.
If you want to enjoy your own tour of the factory, check out the great deal Gilt City is offering through tomorrow which includes a $20 credit to spend on chocolate! It saves you more than 50% and would make a great date night or weekend activity with friends or out-of-town guests!
Interested to try Gilt City? One lucky reader will win a $50 Gilt gift card! To enter, complete at least one of the below and leave a comment letting me know. People can gain up to three entries by completing all three.
- Follow @healthyhappier on Instagram and leave a comment.
- Follow me on Facebook and leave a comment letting me know.
- Leave a comment letting me know which of the current Gilt City offers you would like to try.
Giveaway is open to residents in the US and Canada and can be used on any of the Gilt or Gilt City platforms, not just Gilt City NYC.