What do you do when you wake up at 7:30 on a Saturday, long before your jet-lagged husband? Head out for a peaceful run along the lake!
The weather is perfect here today – 38 degrees and sunny! I didn’t wear my Garmin on this run, instead using Nike +. This allowed me to keep track of the run but only hear my pace each mile. Since I’m still working my way back after my cold and stomach illness, I didn’t want to stress over the pace. My average pace was 9:39 and I was smiling ear to ear by the end. The blue sky, sunshine and lake views were definitely the perfect way to start the day! Even better is the fact that I didn’t have to stop once during the run and felt really strong!
I headed directly into the kitchen when I got home, ready to whip up a breakfast of coffee, fruit and healthy pancakes. Inspired by a few different Pinterest recipes, I combined them to develop delicious, fluffy pancakes which were even better when paired with syrup and fresh fruit! Thanks to the protein in the egg whites and Greek yogurt, these packed 18 grams of protein per serving and the healthy fat helped keep us full all morning! Be careful, since these are thick, yogurt based pancakes they need to be cooked at a lower temperature for longer period of time. But, if you take your time, they will turn out perfectly!
Whole Wheat Protein Pancakes (2 servings)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 oz Fage Total Greek yogurt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: Syrup & fresh fruit
- Combine whole wheat flour and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl until combined
- Add yogurt, egg whites, vanilla and cinnamon to dry mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Let batter rest while you coat skillet with non-stick cooking spray, butter or oil and bring it to heat on stove over a medium-low to medium heat.
- Pour batter into pan, making 5-6 small pancakes.
- Allow batter to cook slowly, waiting a few minutes until you flip.
- Cook for another few minutes, until golden brown and remove from heat.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
What’s your favorite way to top your pancakes?