Am I the only one who feels this short week was actually the longest week ever? My inbox and to do list is out of control but luckily, there are just a few more hours until I can relax and unplug. This weekend is all about spending time with friends. Tonight I’m heading to XTend Barre for an evening workout with Melissa and Heather then tomorrow morning a group of us are working out at Orangetheory together before catching up over brunch. What are your weekend plans?
Now, let’s dive into this week’s edition of Friday Favorites, including recipes, articles, posts and other things that caught my eye this week.
- Two different friends shared this one-pot chicken recipe on Facebook this week which means it’s been added to my weeknight list of meals. Since I’m traveling next week, I won’t be making it until the following week but is it crazy to say I’m already excited? It brings together some of my favorite flavors – shallots, dijon and white wine!
- Speaking of next week’s travel, I took everyone’s recommendations and stocked up on RX and GoMacro bars to keep me fueled during the long days of conferences and meetings. What is your favorite high protein bar?
- As a runner, I’ve lived through the roller coaster of emotions when running has been tougher than normal. Whether it’s due to outside stress, lack of training or other drivers this list of 10 Non-PR running goals is a great way to bring the fun back to running while ignoring the watch.
- You guys, for years I’ve been obsessed with accessories. These days my typical wardrobe tends to be a bit conservative since I’ve had a hard time finding fun, colorful maternity clothing, but with a pop of color and fun via accessories suddenly that outfit can go from traditional to trendy. I’m in love with BaubleBar’s Spring collection including these statement earrings, this layer necklace and these fun shell earrings. I just ordered these to add some pizzazz to my maternity outfits this Spring and Summer. If you’ve never shopped BaubleBar before, you get 15% off your first order!
- Bo and I have both made a concerted effort to cook at home more often so we have healthy, delicious dinner and lunch options easily available. This round-up of 20 healthy dinners you can prep on Sunday is a great source of inspiration if you need that final kick to start meal prepping.
- Since reading the articles about Cookie Do NYC I’ve wanted to try this new, fad food but can’t stomach the idea of spending two hours in line. This morning I discovered that Blank Slate NYC sells the small and medium sizes of four different Do flavors! If you want to try the dough and avoid the lines, I highly recommend stopping in this adorable coffee shop.
- I’ve really enjoyed reading about Julia’s pregnancy journey thus far and hope that she continues sharing her fashion tips and journey with readers. How adorable is she in this Vineyard Vines maxi dress?
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored and instead is a list of the things of my favorite things this week. As normal, it includes lots of beauty and fashion items which means there are a few affiliate links via ShopStyle. It takes time and money to maintain a blog so I thank you for the support and few cents that come from clicking through the links!
Before I got pregnant, I thought that I would spend the nine months running and sweating in the same way as before. I had visions of finishing multiple races while wearing a fun pregnancy tank, further developing my muscles and strength during high intensity workouts and continuing to explore and try different NYC boutique fitness workouts via ClassPass.
I quickly realized, that pregnancy is unique for each person. Personally, I found it virtually impossible to workout during weeks 7-12 of pregnancy due to exhaustion and some nausea. Over the past 11 weeks I have luckily been able to return to a consistent workout routine, averaging six workouts per week. However, my weekly workout schedule has evolved and quite different than what I did before.
- Most weeks, my workout schedule is as follows:
Instead of trying multiple studios and teachers per month, I am more focused. Each of the above workouts leave me feeling strong, energize and most of all – safe. The instructors are able to easily provide me with prenatal adjustments while also focusing on form and technique. These workouts are also helping me prepare for the marathon that will is child birth and being a new mom. These workouts also take place in Brooklyn, which is quite an adjustment from my previous routine. Walking to workouts allows me to enjoy some fresh air and extra movement while also saving on commute time.
In addition to changing my routine and class choices, I’ve also had to make some changes to my workout gear. By the time I entered my second trimester, my body was significantly growing and changing. Suddenly I felt as if I had no workout clothes, even though my dresser drawers were filled with sports bras, leggings and tops. I did my best to resist buying things but then realized that the last thing I wanted to feel or resemble while working out was a stuffed sausage. I spent an afternoon going through my dresser and made three piles – donate, keep but store for after pregnancy, and keep to wear now. Once I purged my drawers I invested in a few pieces that would allow me to feel confident and comfortable while working out.
Here is the workout gear that I’ve been loving during pregnancy.
- For Two Fitness Tank – I love this comfortable tank as it comes in a number of colors, is flattering and very comfortable. The technical fabric and long length ensures that the top stays in place and I stay cool during every workout This makes a perfect gift for a new mom who enjoys working out and wants to share her news with everyone.
- Brooks Pick-Up Tank Top – This was one of my favorite workout tanks before pregnancy but now that I am the proud owner of a growing bump, I’ve fallen even more in love with it. Available in more than 15 different colors, this affordable tank ranges in price from $21-$42 depending on color and is so soft and stretchy. In fact, it’s so long and stretchy that I am still able to wear my pre-pregnancy size though I finally ordered 2 new tanks in a size larger to enjoy during the rest of pregnancy. My friend who is also pregnant raves about the higher neck so she isn’t constantly flashing people during workouts and I love the skimming shape.
- Brooks Juno and Brooks Fiona Sports Bras – The first piece of workout gear I had to invest in during pregnancy were new sports bras. My 36A sports bras were uncomfortably tight within the first trimester as I rapidly grew from a 36A to a 36C. Now, at week 23 I’m between a C and a D but luckily, thanks to the adjustable straps on each of these styles, I’m still enjoying both bras. The molded cups limit my headlights during workouts and the light compression provides me with the support I need. Many of my mom friends recommended these bra styles as they can also be used for nursing after I give birth. In addition, Brooks sells these bras in almost every size beginning at 30B and going up to 44DD.
- Nike Power Epic Running Tights – I’ve been surprised to find myself reaching for these black tights week after week, even as my stomach and body grows. They stretch more than any of my other leggings and the mesh details on the calf help keep me cool.
Your turn: If you’re pregnant or have been pregnant before, what were your favorite pieces of workout gear? Unfortunately, it seems like most brands have discontinued or limited their maternity gear over the past few years, as when I read older blog posts or articles, more than half the links and lines no longer exist.
Happy Monday! The sun is shining and the temperature is supposed to reach a mild 70 degrees today in Brooklyn. Our plan for the day is to stay local, exploring and doing some shopping before relaxing this evening with leftovers and Manchester By the Sea.
I thought it’d be fun to share a few of the things we did with my parents over the past few days during their visit. As you guys know, my parents visit us in New York at least 2 to 3 times per year so we tend to relax together and just enjoy versus trying to hit museums and tourist spots that they’ve seen multiple times. Since it was my dad’s birthday weekend, we chose a few restaurants that we knew he’d love so he could enjoy his favorite cuisine.
- Birthday dinner at Joe’s Shanghai in Chinatown for their famous soup dumplings. If you’re local or visiting and love Chinese food, Joe’s Shanghai’s Chinatown location is a great option for authentic, reasonably priced Chinese food. Unlike many places in Chinatown, they offer an English menu so you aren’t clueless. We loved that the restaurant was filled with locals versus a line of tourists.
- A long, cold walk through Gramercy, Union Square, West Village, NoHo, SoHo and Tribeca. Even though the sun was shining and the sky was blue, the weather in NYC yesterday was deceptively frigid due to the strong wind gusts. We bundled up and enjoyed a long walk through some areas my parents are less familiar with while perusing shops and enjoying the sights, such as Washington Square Park.
- Delicious Italian dinner at Gran Morsi in Tribeca. Our friends Mike and Liz introduced us to Gran Morsi earlier this year and since then I’ve been dreaming about their delicious meatballs and the cast iron Eggplant Parmesan. My parents loved the relaxed yet chic atmosphere and the service and food were just as good as we remembered.
- A very successful shopping experience at Seraphine Maternity. As you guys know, I haven’t purchased many maternity items thus far, instead relying on a few hand me downs and a few key items. Now that Spring is coming and I’ve also popped quite significantly over the past two weeks, my mom and I agreed that it was time to go shopping. The experience shopping in the Seraphine SoHo location was incredible. The staff was very friendly and helpful while their seasonal sale allowed me to walk out with seven pieces, 3 dresses, 3 tops, 1 sweater and one pair of panty hose, without breaking the bank. I couldn’t believe that two of my favorite items were under $60! I was able to find two dresses (this one and this one) which will be perfect for my Savannah and NYC showers.
- Two nights of delicious cooking and baking with Mom and Bo. After two nights of eating out we decided to spend Saturday and Sunday nights cooking in and relaxing together. We were all craving meat so we opted for a traditional steakhouse dinner on Saturday night followed by a slow-cooked pot roast on Sunday night. Since my mom and I enjoy baking together so much, we spent both nights baking delicious treats including this delicious German Chocolate cake. Even though my dad doesn’t cook, it was still fun to have everyone in the kitchen relaxing together.