This year, believe it or not, I’m more excited than ever to kick off New York City Marathon training. Last year was my first time and I was a complete rookie. It showed in my results and my training plan. I ran a lot, including some weeks of 40+ miles, but never included any cross training, hill training, or speed training.
This time around however, I have a new resource, Mark Pelerin. Theodora highly recommended him after she discovered his blog on Tumblr and then enrolled him to help with her training. Bo and I are both relying on Mark’s talent and experience to help us train injury free while also improving each of our speeds.
This week’s plan is below:
Monday: Basic Run 4 miles with 4 striders
Tuesday: Personal Training
Wednesday: 3 miles + spin class
Thursday: Personal Training
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: 4 mile NYRR race+ 3 miles= 7 miles
Sunday: 3 mile recovery run
I’m so excited! This morning the four miles wasn’t as easy as I’d hoped due to a case of tired legs but since I have a training plan in place I knew that throwing in the towel wasn’t an option. Instead, I kept it slow and comfortable until getting to the strides.
Two thumbs up for marathon training season. Even though it means that Friday night’s out are a thing of the past, I’ll catch up with friends more on foot than in person, and that foam rolling and Epsom salt baths become a weekly staple, I’m still excited to get started!
In honor of kicking of marathon training, I have a special prize for one lucky reader. Stonyfield has partnered with some wonderful all natural brands to bring you a summer cool down box. One lucky reader will get to indulge in some great items that epitomize summertime!
- Two coupons for Stonyfield Frozen Yogurt Bars in two delicious flavors: Gotta Have Vanilla, and After Dark Chocolate. These bars, made with organic milk, are dipped in rich dark chocolate, and contain four live and active cultures, keeping you healthy while enjoying a sweet treat.
- Badger After-Sun Balm: A certified organic treat for sun-parched skin. Made with moisturizing plant butters and infused with soothing Blue Tansy and Lavender to make your skin feel smooth and leave you feeling calm.
- Dr. Hauschka Melissa Day Cream: This new 100% natural moisturizer is perfect for combination skin. Formulated with extracts of melissa (lemon balm), it smells like fresh squeezed lemonade. Additionally, extracts of anthyllis, carrot, witch hazel and English daisy soothe, soften and even the complexion so shine is controlled and skin is moisturized.
- Tom’s of Maine: Simply White, the first and only clinically proven natural whitening toothpaste to earn an ADA seal, helps bring back the natural beauty of your smile.
- The Daily Moisture Body Bar has an ultra-rich bar soap formula that contains premium moisturizing olive oil, natural vitamin E and leaves your skin clean and fresh.
- Beautiful Earth Deodorant works to inhibit the growth of odor-causing bacteria and its natural, refreshing fragrance helps mask odor.
- Uncle Matt’s Organic Lemonade and Juices: By buying Uncle Matt’s fresh fruit and juice you’re helping more than 20 small growers that make up their family of farms. That’s one of the reasons they’re proud to be family owned and organically grown. Use this free coupon to pick up your choice of organic juice or lemonade and quench your thirst for summer!
You can enter in two ways:
1) Leave a comment letting me know how you’re trying to go more organic this summer.
2) Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter and make sure to include @healthyhappier in the tweet and leave me a comment letting me know you tweeted.
I’ll choose a winner at midnight on Wednesday!